A classic flavour combination prepared with a twist!
Mozzarella-Basil Wontons with Tomato Dipping Sauce
Published on April 14, 2014 | In Contemporary, Italian/French | By tatyanaseverydayfood |0 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Medium
- (0 /5)
- 0 Rating
- 24 square wonton wrappers
- 24 fresh mozzarella cheese balls, drained
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 large basil leaves
- canola oil for frying
- For Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 4 garlic cloves
- small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon EACH: dried basil, salt, sagar
- fresh ground black pepper
- Drain mozzarella balls and place into small bowl. You can also cut a large block of fresh mozzarella cheese into small cubes. Toss with salt and vinegar. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes. Then drain again.
- Place all dipping ingredients into blender and pulse ingredients until smooth and garlic is finely minced. Pour mixture into small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat, whisking occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes until sauce is reduced and garlic is cooked. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Meanwhile, prepare wontons. Have a pastry brush and bowl of water ready. For each wonton, moisten edges of wrapper right before shaping appetizer. Place 1 mozzarella ball and 1 basil leaf in the center. Pull edges together, then fold over the front to create iconic wonton shape. Place prepared wontons onto wood cutting board.
- Fry 4 to 6 wontons at a time in hot oil. Turn frequently and fry until golden brown. Remove carefully with slotted spoon and place onto paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve warm with warm dipping sauce.