If you still eat boxed macaroni and cheese, you are committing a serious food crime – stop!! Try this super easy recipe and have a delicious meal in 30 minutes! You will never eat boxed pasta again!
Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon and Garlic
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 Rating
- 1 pound dry elbow pasta
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- For Cheese Sauce:
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 cups reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated gouda cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once pan is hot, add slices of bacon; render until crispy. Remove bacon onto paper towels to dry. Turn heat down to medium/low and add minced garlic. Cook for several minutes, then use a spatula to scrap the rendered fat and garlic into a bowl. Once bacon has cooled enough to handle, dice it and set it aside, along with the garlic.
- Pour broth and water into large pot and add salt. Bring to a rolling boil and add the elbow pasta. Cook pasta only partially so that it still has some firmness then drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly and gradually add the milk, whisking constantly and allowing the mixture to cook and thicken slightly in between additions. Turn heat down to low and add the cream cheese. Whisk occasionally until cheese melts completely. Then stir in the remaining cheeses, seasonings, bacon and garlic. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring, until mixture is smooth and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Add the firm, undercooked pasta into the cheese mixture. Continue cooking over a low/medium heat for an additional 12 to 15 minutes, until sauce thickens and pasta is al dente (or to your preference of doneness). Serve warm.