A classic, no-fail recipe that’s super easy to make at home. Plus, a pizza dough recipe!
Classic Pizza Margherita
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 large
- Difficulty Level Medium
- (0 /5)
- 0 Rating
- For Pizza Dough:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- For Tomato Sauce:
- 8 ounces tomato puree or sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: salt, dried basil, dried oregano, black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry rubbed sage
- For Topping:
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 1 extra large heirloom tomato, sliced
- 15 to 20 fresh basil leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
- salt and black pepper
- Prepare dough: combine water and milk and heat in microwave or on stove top until warm. Add sugar and yeast and allow yeast to dissolve. Add oil, egg and salt and whisk together. Gradually begin adding flour until soft dough forms. Knead on floured surface for 3 to 4 minutes until smooth. Cover and let dough rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare pizza pan. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit pan.
- In small bowl combine all ingredients for sauce and spread evenly over dough. Top evenly with slices of cheese, tomato, thyme and basil leaves. Season lightly with salt and pepper. If you like your pizza dough thin, place directly into oven. If you like thick crust, let the dough rise for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes until cheese melts completely. If your tomatoes are very juicy, you can remove excess juice gently with a paper towel.