This aromatic and delicious chicken recipe comes out juicy and tender every time! Serve with a wild rice pilaf or on top of your favorite salad mix!
Chinese 5-Spice Chicken with Wild Rice
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Medium
- (5 /5)
- 3 Rating
- 2 or 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Chinese 5-Spice
- For Rice:
- 1 cup wild rice blend with whole grain brown rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: salt, black pepper, ground ginger, garlic powder, smoked paprika
- Combine all ingredients for rice in medium sized pot with tightly-fitting lid. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stir, cover and simmer on low heat for 50 minutes (or according to package instructions). Remove from heat and let stand until serving.
- Combine soy sauce, honey, water, and sesame seed oil in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F and preheat oven-proof sauté pan to medium/high heat with a splash of oil.
- Season chicken breasts generously with Chinese 5-spice and salt. Place serving side down first into preheated pan and sear for 2 to 3 minutes until nicely browned. Turn and sear second side then add half of the prepared sauce into the pan. Top each chicken breast with cubed butter. Add about 1/3 cup water to pan and place into the oven.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes - depending on thickness - until chicken reaches 150F. During baking time, turn and baste chicken with sauce every 2 minutes. If sauce becomes too thick, add water. Remove chicken from oven, out of pan, and let meat rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Slice chicken and serve on top of rice and spoon additional sauce on top.