Authentic-tasting enchiladas bring back memories of sun-soaked beaches in Mexico!
Chicken Enchiladas with Caramelized Onions
- Difficulty Level Medium
- (1.5 /5)
- 2 Rating
- 8 large flour tortilla rounds
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 large onion, sliced into long pieces
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup spicy green taco sauce
- 1 cup spicy red taco sauce, divided
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups grated medium cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon EACH: salt, chili powder, ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon EACH: black pepper, smoked paprika, dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder
- For Salsa:
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 green scallions, diced
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons spicy red taco sauce
- For Topping:
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add sliced onions and brown sugar. Fry slowly over medium heat until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
- Into same pan add cubed chicken; season with salt and pepper and sauté over medium/high heat until nicely browned. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add to pan tomato sauce, green taco sauce, 1/2 of the red taco sauce, onions, cheese, olives and remaining seasonings and herbs. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes until reduced. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Onto each tortilla round, spread several tablespoons of softened cream cheese. Top with generous amount of prepared filling and gently roll, keeping the filling inside as much as possible. Place into glass baking dish seam side down.
- Top prepared rolls with remaining red taco sauce (1/2 cup - you can use more if desired) and sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss together all ingredients needed for salsa in small bowl and set aside. Serve enchiladas with spoonfuls of sour cream and fresh salsa.