Dinner cannot get any easier than this creamy grilled chicken skillet, loaded with amazing summer flavors. And the best part about this dish is that you only need 10 ingredients! That's right! Tabasco asked me to participate in their #Tabasco10 challenge and I accepted! All of the participants were given a list of just 10 staple ingredients to come up with an easy and delicious recipe. This list included: Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce, protein (flank steak or chicken breast), leafy greens, bacon, onion, soft cheese (Fontina, blue cheese, or burrata), stone fruit (nectarine, peach or plum), grain (couscous, barley, or quinoa), citrus and herb (basil, mint or cilantro). For my recipe, I marinated my chicken with generous amounts of Tabasco Chipotle Sauce for a rich and smoky flavor! To go along with the chicken, I combined wilted spinach with Fontina cheese, loads of bacon and finished the dish off with diced sweet nectarine!
Watch my video recipe for all the details, sponsored by Tabasco. Check out the video description box for other participants' delicious recipes!
CREAMY GRILLED CHICKEN SKILLET
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
2 large chicken breasts
3 to 4 tablespoons Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
4 to 5 slices thick-cut bacon
1 large onion, diced
10 cups fresh spinach
15 basil leaves, chopped
1/2 pound Fontina cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
1 large nectarine, diced
1. Prepare the chicken first. Split the chicken breasts in half to cut down on cooking time. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper, then add a generous amount of Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce. Use your hands or a brush to coat the chicken generously. Refrigerate the chicken for about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the creamy spinach. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Render the bacon slices until golden and crispy. Remove them onto a paper towel to cool and drain of excess fat. Once bacon has cooled, cut it into small bits. Retain the rendered bacon fat in the pan and add the diced onion. Saute until golden brown and tender.
3. Begin adding the spinach. Add half of the spinach, cover the pan and allow the spinach to cook down; about 3 minutes. Add the rest of the spinach and repeat the same process. Stir the wilted spinach together with the onion, then add the remaining ingredients: salt, pepper, chopped basil and Fontina cheese that has been broken into smaller chunks.
4. Cover the pan, turn heat down to 'low' and cook the mixture until the cheese has melted completely. Stir all the ingredients together and add additional Tabasco sauce and about two-thirds of the bacon bits; retain the rest for garnish. Keep the creamed spinach hot while preparing the grilled chicken.
5. Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium heat. Add the marinated chicken and grill on each side for 6 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness.
6. Serve chicken breasts whole or chop into smaller cubes. Add grilled chicken to creamed spinach, top with diced nectarine, remaining bacon bits and more chopped basil. Serve hot.