My ‘Bold and Smoky Pepper Marsala Pasta’ is bound to become a family favorite! This delicious recipe was sponsored by Holland House cooking wines, a line of flavor-enhancing premium cooking wines. I use Marsala cooking wine to add a bold boost of flavor to the sauce, along with lots of smoky sausage and oven-roasted sweet red bell peppers, to create an unforgettable flavor combination.
Cooking wines are great for everyday meals! I’ve been using Holland House cooking wines since I started cooking. My mom always had this cooking wine in her pantry and now I love to use it in my kitchen, too. I love adding Marsala wine to my pasta dishes, chili and cold-weather stews. Try adding a few tablespoons of Marsala cooking wine to your stroganoff for an amazing boost of flavor! Explore all 5 flavors that Holland House has to offer on their website and Facebook page. For a coupon, visit http://bit.ly/2ddjRsM
PREP TIME: 45 minutes
SERVINGS: 4 servings
2 large red bell peppers
Salt and black pepper
4 links (1lb) smoky sausage
1 large shallot, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup Holland House ‘Marsala’ cooking wine
¼ cup tomato paste
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ pound penne pasta
Small bunch fresh basil
- Prepare the roasted red bell pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Cut each red bell pepper into quarters, discarding the seeds and removing any white membrane.
- Arrange the peppers on a small baking dish. Drizzle generously with olive oil; season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until peppers are slightly charred and tender.
- Once peppers are done, dice the peppers into pea sized pieces.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sausage.
- Remove any casings, if needed, and slice sausage into small disks.
- Preheat a large, cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add the sliced sausage and brown all over.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and into a small bowl; set aside.
- Prepare the sauce.
- Into the same pan, add the diced shallot and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until tender.
- Add all of the spices and seasonings and tomato paste.
- Add Holland House ‘Marsala’ cooking wine. Cook the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced roasted red bell pepper. Return the sausage to the pan and mix all ingredients together, then bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, to allow flavor to develop.
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Cook until cheese is completely melted.
- Once sauce has cooked, add the prepared pasta and toss to coat.
- Garnish the top with chopped basil and more parmesan cheese.
Watch my video recipe here!